Came across this in this morning's paper. Odd how your own perceptions of your country are often wrong.
Canadians More Patriotic Than Americans
Canadians often think of themselves as less patriotic than people of other nationalities, particularly Americans.
But a four-country poll shows that with the notable exception of francophone Quebecers, Canadians are more deeply attached to their country than people in the United States, Germany or Spain.
Ninety-five per cent of Canadians outside Quebec said they are attached to their country, compared to 92 per cent of Americans, 84 per cent of Germans and 81 per cent of Spaniards, according to the survey for the Association of Canadian Studies.
"I think that Canadians presume that Americans are super patriotic and have a deep sense of attachment because we think they manifest their attachment more openly than Canadians do," said Jack Jedwab, executive director of the association. "We think we are modest about our identification with Canada, but I don't believe that to be the case. Repeatedly, survey after survey shows that outside of Quebec, Canadians have a very deep sense of attachment to their country," Jedwab said
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Canadians+more+patriotic+than+Americans/4040278/story.html#ixzz19bVNgsvc
And so we should (be proud of our country). It's a fantastic place to live. I feel very grateful to have been born and raised in Canada. I'm a very proud Canadian. Always have been.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't surprise me. The Canadians I have come to know are intensely patriotic.
ReplyDeleteAnd, to take it further, some Canadians seem to have a more intense love of, and concern for the US than many Americans do.
I wonder if we dropped California, New York, and Massachusetts out of our results... I'm sure we'd do better.
I haven't spent much time North of the border, but I see no reason you folks shouldn't be proud. If circumstances ever forced me to relocate, Candada would be my first choice, Australia my second.
ReplyDeleteThe only surprising thing for me was the 92% for the U.S. I would have expected it to be lower, what with all the liberal groups striving to rewrite our history, and paint us as some evil empire.
I think Andy is right. If we cut a few select states loose, the numbers would probably improve.
I hate to say "I knew this!" but I did, really. I never met a Canadian when I lived outside of the US that didn't have the Maple Leaf flag on their person somewhere, be it a lapel pin, a patch on the backpack, or a Maple Leaf-themed hat. Mebbe that was to differentiate themselves from us obnoxious Yankees (heh), but it was none the less true.
ReplyDeleteYou have a lot to be proud OF, too. Labatt's comes to mind... ;-)
Labatt's comes to mind... ;-)
ReplyDeleteespecially when they're doing up a batch of Bud!
It didn't really hit me until I was watching the Olympic gold medal curling games and the crowd spontaneously burst in to the national anthem exactly how patriotic we are, but I didn't think it was that much.
And yes, I'm a closet curling junkie.