One of the blogs that I've been logging a whole lot of frequent flyer miles on had a post the other day on a piece of music that generated a whole lot of comments about places music takes you, intentional or not. One song that really takes me to another place and time is George Strait's You'll Be There. The subject of today's post is the Buddha, date is April 26, 2005. (no need to watch the vid. just listen)
Over the next 4 years this was kind of a handy feature to have as she'd turn herself inside-out to get one. Unfortunately for the gophers that she managed to capture, the outcome for them was never good. Once she'd grabbed them they were pretty much done, and she'd lay beside their little carcasses like a cat, waiting for them to bolt or play.
The spring of 2005 she'd discovered a new gopher hole in the yard and was doing some serious excavating on it to try to get to the little bugger when she broke one of her nails. Doesn't sound very serios I know, but dogs' nails are fairly thick and very strong. This one bent back right to the quick and was sticking up at a 45* angle. All I could do was look at it. I knew how much that had to hurt and wasn't even going to touch it. She went to work on it (there's nothing more healing than a dog's lick, wonder why?) and finally got it off, leaving the nub of her naked toe. She had been lame the whole time that the nail was tilted and I expected her to be to be sound right away after that but still wasn't a week after it came off so I took her to the vet. After telling him what happened, he prescribed some antibiotics for her and off we went. 10 days later and still sore so I took her back again. The first thing that the vet said to me was "Is that from an old injury?" to which I replied "What?". "The shoulder, I'd like to x-ray it.". I allowed as how she hadn't injured her shoulder as far as I could remember and he told me that he'd still like to x-ray it. I was thinking 'it's her toe, not her shoulder, but I'll humor you.' and we made an appointment for her for first thing the next morning. After calling in to let my boss know what was going on, I dropped her off first thing in the morning and waited. The vet called me around noon and told me that she had osteosarcoma which is one of the most painful cancers around and that we could discuss options when I got there. When I asked him if we would be doing it for her or for me he respnde that we'd be doing it for me. I told him I'd be there in 15 minutes and I'm sure that he knew my decision by the tone of my voice before I got there.
When I got there he showed me the x-ray and told me that by the time a sarcoma shows up on an x-ray, it's pretty much already metastasized through the rest of the body and we did what we had to do. I stayed with her through the whole thing and the vet's staff let me stay as long as I wanted to (they're pretty compassionate that way, which is always good). When I had collected her collar and leash and went out and got in the truck Goerge Strait was on, You'll Be There.
I cried through most of the writing of this one, that's how much I miss her; she'd have done anything for me.
Go with God Baby.

You're a brave woman. I could tell similar stories, but I would bawl like a baby. Animals have a big impact on our lives.
ReplyDeleteI held my Fritzi Ritz in my arms when her time at the vet came and felt the life leave her body. I cried, My Lord how I cried. You never really get over something like this, you just learn to live with it.
ReplyDeleteIt gets easier over time and then you remember them with fondness instead of sadness. Believe me, I bawled like a baby that day and for weeks after. Not as tough as I thought I was.
ReplyDeleteThat picture now makes me smile instead of tear up. (it's only been 5 years :-) )
Well written post. And though I definitely understand what you mean about the music, I didn't hear any the day our old Sam died. Her heart gave out in her sleep one hot summer day on our deck (she was 16). I got her in my wheel barrow and took her to a shady spot in the back woods. After burying her, I put up a small marker. Digging that small grave and laying her down to rest was a very hard thing to do. I don't remember a music connection, but I wish I did.
ReplyDelete