Ya right. I've been awake since 10:18 last night, laying there thinking `beige, I should paint the ceiling beige`. Sleep (or lack of it) has been an issue for me for a while now. While fighting to go back to sleep after waking, I compose all sorts of cool stuff to blog about while telling myself to just concentrate on breathing and not let the thought wagons circle. By the time I get up, everything's a big ol' jumble and I don't recall exactly what I was going to say. Must have been what Dad would call caca de toro (which is BS in whatever language you say it).
One of the things that I was thinking about last night was a good friend of mine that I hadn't seen in a while. When I was in High River for my optometrist appointment I poked my head in the door to say hello. He owns and runs a tack shop there and builds saddles (Eamors). Felmer Eamor started the company making saddles before I was born and had built up a reputation for a good quality saddle at a reasonable price. He sold the shop to a bigger company that butchered the whole manufacturing process and started putting out substandard product and the name pretty much went in the crapper. JD and his former Missus bought the name and JD started making saddles under the Eamor name (he`d been makng them for a while already and stays true to the Eamor design and quality) and they opened a tack and clothing shop in High River. The economy here isn`t as bad as that of our neighbors to the south but it`s not great and people just aren`t spending money. When I was talking to JD he told me that as soon as the existing inventory is gone, the shop part will be gone which is pretty sad to hear. He told me he`ll still be making saddles and doing repairs, but the rest is history. Dang.
That's really sad, to see a great business go like that.
ReplyDeleteI've known a few saddle makers in my time. It is a dying (dyeing) art. I had a pair of chinks made for my husband one year. They were so beautiful, that he never wore them.
ReplyDeleteDani
ReplyDeleteEspecially when it's a friend.
Lou
It is a dying art and he has arthritis pretty bad in his hands. Also with no children of his own, who's he going to pass his artistry on to?
thinking `beige, I should paint the ceiling beige`.
ReplyDeleteUmmm... isn't that the punch line to an old joke? ;-)
I'm sorry your friend is going out of bid'niz. But it sounds like it's time, especially with the arthritis thing.
Buck
ReplyDeleteLOL! It is, too bad I don't have a bed-partner (other than the dog) to remove that thought from my head!