Looks like the old horse has been Steady Eddie for Cody Cassidy so far in the NFR. Read on.
Cody Cassidy did what he needed to do on Thursday night at the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo to stay in the race for the world steer wrestling championship.
The only thing is, so did California's Luke Branquinho, the guy he's trying to catch.
Both Cassidy, a two-time Canadian champion, and Branquinho, a two-time world champion, tossed their steers in the identical time of 3.7 seconds. It was good for a split of second and just over $12,000 apiece.
Branquinho leads the world standings with $155,182. Cassidy is sixth at $118,377.
This 10-round, $5.875 million marathon is now down to the last two performances and the aggregate, which pays $45,000 for first.
Cassidy is third in the aggregate, Branquinho is fourth and the bulldoggers face another pen of eliminators - steers that don't co-operate - again tonight.
The Canadian caught a black and white steer no more than three jumps out of the chute in the eighth round.
"I knew that steer was going to stop," Cassidy said. "He isn't tricky to catch, but he hardly gets out of a trot. Your catch is pretty subtle and he didn't feel that bad at all.
"I had to pull on Willy's reins the whole way through there so I wouldn't break the barrier."
This is the 28-year-old's first NFR and he's won nearly $42,000 so far.
"It getting to be kind of fun, my heart gets pumping before I go and there's a big bunch of money on the line," he said.
"This summer I'd go to rodeos that paid $1,500 or $2,000 and my heart wouldn't even come remotely close to how it feels now."
Older brother Curtis, who led the world standings coming into the NFR, was first out on the night, drilled a red and white steer in 4.3 seconds to split fifth and sixth, worth $3,672. He's won $23,114 so far and is second in the world at $133,587. But he's 14th in the aggregate after taking a no time on three steers.
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Branquinho+stays+step+ahead+steer+wrestling/3955073/story.html#ixzz17ibLVCzm
I can't imagine the jitters you'd get going from a $1500.00 payday for a win to the money he's riding for! 12 grand is a lot of money, I don't care who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!
He's really gonna miss old Willy next year. Let's hope there's another one coming up at the farm.
There's some serious money in rodeo these days, eh? I didn't know...
ReplyDeleteI've been seeing it for a while Buck, but I'm far too old to start off in that little game!
ReplyDelete