Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I was flattered! TWICE

A couple of years ago, Dad called for my regular Christmas call and I mentioned how there weren't very many days that I didn't miss being on the tools as opposed to in the office.  He very kindly reminded me of exactly how many years, months, weeks and days it was until the big 5-0.  Gee, thanks, Dad, that's all I've thought of since!
Last week, a salesman that I've known for about 10 years or so was in my office and we got to talking about how long we'd known each other.  I first met Robert when I was working at one of the electrical distributors here in town.  He was in the warehouse picking orders and I was on the order desk and on the counter first thing in the morning.  He got promoted from the warehouse to the counter and I had the privelege of training him.  We kinda lost touch when I moved on and then it turned out that he's now the salesman for the company that I work for now.  He was sitting there, telling me how he must be getting old because his daughter can move him to tears by saying 'I love you' or 'You're the best Dad in the whole wide world' (she's 10) and we got to trading stories.  He looked over at me and said "You know, for somebody that's got to be 43... you look more like 35".  I asked him to seriously tell me what he was originally going to say and he told me again 43. 
This morning another salesman from a different wholesaler was in and we got to talking about how if we had known we were going to live this long, we'd have taken better care of our bodies.  I told him about my Dad, who lives in Mexico now, has trained prob'ly every horse in the vicinity and when  he ran out of horses, he started in on the dogs (and we all know there's no shortage of dogs in Mexico).  He has a regular trap-line of clients' dogs that he works with, walking each at least an hour and training on them and getting to each client's place by bicycle so I wasn't too worried about him having to replace a knee or a hip. 
To which Mike said "Your Dad can't be that old, you're only 42 tops."
When I told Robert that I had recently had my 48th, he said nah, 43 and you don't have to worry about the big 5-0 for another 7 years.  Mike had a hard time believing it and told me he would never have guessed.

Life is good!

4 comments:

  1. Deb, sounds like some nice compliments to me. My daughter is in her early 40's and still gets carded at the pub! Better to look younger, than older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes... life is good indeed! And, there's no need to fear 50; life gets considerably better at that point in time. For about ten years... and then WHAM! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well according to Robert, I don't have to worry about that for 17 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the compliments. As for what it's like to turn 50...it's been so long ago...20 years...that I forget:-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!