Having lived on the farm for the first 4 1/2 years of her life, Jazz was definitely not used to people walking by on the street. (when you live on 33 acres for most of that life, there isn't anybody walking by on the street) When we moved to the city she started taking up a position on the couch and 'surveying her domain' which didn't really bother me until she started barking every time someone was walking by, just about elevating me out of my chair here at the compute. GEES LOUISE, would you knock that off?
At first I told her "Quiet, they're allowed to be there." (which worked well for The Buddha), then it was "QUIET", after that it was "QUIET and get off!" and then it was chase her around the house trying to kill her (just kidding, by the time I would have caught up to her she wouldn't have remembered what the heck I was chasing her for).
Well, guess what? Just 10 minutes ago I was sitting here and she had assumed the position when someone walked by. All I heard was a low growl from her and when I turned around and looked her hackles were standing straight up and she was looking out the window but NO BARK! Of course I told her that she was a good girl, that's what I was originally looking for.
It's only been a year and a half but yay, maybe we have that behavior changed.
I hate barking F$%&)%#@ dogs. I don't mind if they're barking for a reason such as an intruder or while trying to get the other to play but they really don't need to vocalise for no good reason, even my Pomeranian was that way. Like children, they should be seen and not heard.
Wow, it just happened again. Shhhh, let's don't jinx it, ok?

I have a similar problem with my rat terrier. He is not a yappy little dog, but when he does bark, it is a high pitched obnoxious bark that scares the pee out of everyone. It is a good thing we live in the country where people do not walk by often.
ReplyDeleteWe've had dogs and then a cat, but now we're petless and I love it. We go anywhere anytime we want.
ReplyDeleteHeh. I so HEAR ya! My dogs eventually settled down after moving to The City, as well... but it took some time.
ReplyDeleteI was pretty worried when we first moved. I didn't want the neighbors to complain to the city resulting in a fine, so I worked really hard at keeping them quiet when they were outside. They were never really loud to begin with but that BARK inside the house was making me crazier than I already am.
ReplyDeleteOur Doxie was good with "no bark" unless it was religeous peddlers at the door, then she went nuts. I guess she wasn't a Christian dog!!
ReplyDeleteOur old Dacshund Sam (gone now for many years) used to bark out epics late at night. Perhaps a deer would come down the hill in back of the house or a possum would scuttle into her scent range. Sometimes she'd get stuck and go on and on long after whatever had bothered her had gone away. I'd have to go out and talk to her to get her to settle down so we could sleep. I miss old Sam, but not that particular habit.
ReplyDeleteDan I think I would have had to kill her. :) There's nothing I hate worse than dogs barking at night.
ReplyDelete