Thursday, March 17, 2011

I bought a bed

I don't know exactly how it happens, but the majority of us never give much thought to where we spend 8 hours straight.  Or maybe that's just me. 
It wasn't until I was moving from the farm to the city that I realized exactly how bad my bed was.  When we pulled the box spring from the bed frame and flipped it up, the very thin fabric that masked the workings of it had been totally ripped away and, being that I had purchased it over 20 years ago in the lower mainland where it's a whole lot less dry than it is here, the slats had all started to crack.  Not the place for any vigorous sexual activities, I'll tell ya!
When I started my new job in September, it was located in a strip of commercial condos and right next door was a guy that I met while out having a smoke.  We got to talking and I asked him what he did.  He sells beds (ok, apparently the correct term is 'mattresses', but I never got that memo, they changed it without consultation or notification).  For cheap.  Of course I asked the question about how he could be so cheap (ok, cost effective) and he told me that these were brand new mattresses, that the packaging had been ripped and they had some dirt on them.  They were straight from a warehouse in town and were being sold at a discount.  Fine by me, a little dirt never hurt anybody.
Well, the old guy had a brain tumor last year, surgery, and is in remission now, but it's all getting too much for him.  We ran in to each other the other day out smoking and he told me that he was closing up shop and only had 6 mattresses left, did I want to come and have a little look.  Of course I did, how much?  When I first met him it was around $600 and the other day it was $450!  I had a look at a pillow-top model and asked how much for the box spring and he said that it was included.  SOLD.  I'll meet you tomorrow and we can do the paperwork and I'll pay you.  Perfect, now all I needed to do was round up some help to get it off the truck and into the house.  Of course I called Andy and he said that he'd be glad to help.  A couple of emails the next day from him asking if I had picked up this bed and I told him that the guy hadn't been around all day.  I finally found his card taped to the window of his shop (he works by appointment only), gave him a call and he said that he'd be there in :10, would I wait.  No problem.  He got there, we conducted our business and loaded it up for the ride home.
Well, Andy called me on the way home and asked me what time I wanted him to be there and I said as soon as would work for him, but not too long, it's starting to snow.  Well, where's this bed?  On the back of my truck.  Ok, I'll see you shortly.  When he got here he was beckoning me to come outside and I was thinking shouldn't we move the old bed first?  Ok, I'll humor you.  Went out and he was chastizing me for not even having the tie-down straps off yet, and undoing them.  Ok if this is the way you want to play it, I'll go along.  We brought the box spring in and he asked me where I wanted it.  For a very intelligent man, he sometimes asks the most ridiculous questions.  Shouldn't we take the old one out first?  Oh, ya.  Swapped things over and installed the new box spring and went out and hauled in the new mattress.  As he was cutting the packaging off I really had to ask him where, exactly, he thought this bed was?  I thought that you had bought it from your neighbor.  Whereas I allowed as buying a used bed is akin to buying someone's used underwear.  As we took it down the hall and started to put it on the box spring he had a look at the tuft work in the pillow top and said "Oh look, it's even got built-in toe holds!"  We've been friends long enough that he really should know better.  I'm totally useless when I start to laugh and I dropped my end.  No harm done but every time I went to pick up my end I started to giggle again.
Anyway, I slept on that new bed last night and compared to the old one, it's like sleeping on a cloud.  Best sleep I've had for quite a few years.  Honest.  (Only thing is, now I have to go buy new sheets.  Which begs the question are the mattress dudes in bed with the sheet dudes?)

11 comments:

  1. I can relate - my mattress is thrashed. But, unfortunately, so is my wallet so I have to get by for a while longer. My dogs do this thing where the sprint down the hall and jump onto the bed. On the first pass, this pushes all the blankets and sheets up to the wall. On the second, third... passes, their claws go right into the mattress fabric. So no there are little white fuzzies poking out of the mattress everywhere.

    :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. in last sentence, "no" s/b "now" for those keeping score at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're in it together. They add that little fluffy top thingy and it's 2 to 3 inches thinker ... Oh Well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you got a great deal. If it improves that "8 hours straight" it will be money well spent. As for the 8, I'm lucky if I get 6 or 7. Maybe a new mattress would improve that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We slept on a waterbed for years, but it bit the dust last year. Picking out a bed for us is a big deal since Toby is a bit of a princess (and the pea). Funny, one of the best mattresses that we ever slept on was at a B&B in Banff. Sheets are very important to us too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inno, ya really gotta get a bigger stick to use on them thar dogs! Nik doesn't get up on the bed very often, but my Jazz sleeps with me and then while I'm in the shower and doing the beautification process she's up there making herself really comfortable by 'nesting' in the pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odie, I had a quick look around and I really don't think you can buy an old-fashioned type bed with a regular mattress anymore. Maybe it was just time for me to leap in to this century.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan, sleep issues have plagued me for a few years now so I was totally delighted to actually sleep through the night. (and did again last night)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lou, I did the waterbed thang for a few years but found that I was moving enough that it ended up being more of a pain in the arse than it was worth. Sheets are a biggie for me too, if they don't fit the bed properly and come loose it irritates me to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...but the majority of us never give much thought to where we spend 8 hours straight. Or maybe that's just me.

    It might be just you, Deb. TSMP and I bought a number of different beds (and types) during our 20+ years together... to include water beds, various and sundry futons, and traditional mattress/box spring combos. Lookin' back I can say the futons were the BEST of all possible sleep-worlds. The water bed used to give me fits during certain "activities," mainly from a synchronization aspect. It can be painful when you and the wave aren't in sync. Just sayin'... at the risk of TMI.

    All THREE of our puppies slept with us, too. Every night. More TMI. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!