Wednesday, March 23, 2011

At least I'm in good company

Jennifer Aniston and Spinsterhood 2.0


Used to be that the most famous old maid in the world was a gawky cartoon character who fell hard for a man whose affections were largely devoted to canned spinach. Olive Oyl was a woman of open heart and flapper feet, an awkward eyelashbatting coquette with skinny legs and a tight bun, but try as she might, she never could land her pipe-puffing sailor man, Popeye.
Used to be that old maids were the sad-sack left-behinds, the dried-up shells who drifted on the edges of society while neighbours on street corners whispered about their sad fate, about their lonely days as pale accounting clerks and midi-skirted kindergarten teachers, about their lonely nights behind drawn curtains in quiet apartments, comforted by cats and, sometimes, a favourite niece.

Believe me, Olive Oyl, I ain't, not by a long shot.  And that line about being 'comforted by cat and, sometimes, a favorite niece?'  No way.  I'm gonna go down as the crazy old dog lady (and my favorite niece is my only niece.  And she lives in Arizona).

Because in a world where love and marriage are the holy grail of societal harmony and personal fulfilment, there is surely nothing more pitiful than a woman who can't find a man.

But that was before Jennifer Aniston became the poster girl for Spinsterhood 2.0.

And I'm very glad she did.  I don't feel that I should be pitied for being single.  What the hell is wrong with it?  The coffee cup that I leave on the counter in the morning is mine and I know that it hasn't magically multiplied at some point in the day.  The 6 or 8 beer in the fridge when I leave are still going to be there when I get home.  Yes, it's a struggle some times and I have to call on friends more often than I like (I've been accused of being independent to a fault), or paying someone to do things that may be chores that would, in a relationship, be shared, but I'm ok with that too.
When I was in my early 20's, I knew that I didn't want to get married unless I had a very strong relationship, (which we all know doesn't happen too often, we're not quite mature enough yet) and that I didn't want to have kids unless I had a very strong marriage.
When I was in my 30's, I was too busy getting through my electrical apprenticeship to be bothered.  Can you see a pregnant electrician on a construction site, up on a ladder?  Oh ya, I dated and fooled around, but that was about it.
And then...  And then I was getting later on in my 30's.  I had finished my apprenticeship and was now a journeyman electrician and all of a sudden it reached up and, slapped me in the face.  Here I was, pushing 40, and still single.  Sure, I had lived with some men, but it had never turned into 'the thing'.  And so, when my friend of 20 years asked me to be his roommate I said sure.  The next thing you know, we're getting married and not too long after that, divorced.  Never marry your friends (or do 'the nasty' with them), it rarely works.  You were friends that long for a reason, you knew it was best that way.

 
...a shift that has seen single adults -women mostly -outnumbering married ones in Canadian households for the first time.
...and it's one that is shared with our sisters to the south, where recent U.S. Census figures revealed that 51 per cent of adult women in that country were unmarried.
...Or put another way, single women now outnumber married women.
...If Aniston, who has beauty, wealth and fame but still no love, is riding the crest of this demographic wave, the millions of women who are surfing anonymously in the shallows are oddly comforted in knowing that she is helping redefine the once-pitied profile of the unmarried woman.


I am on par with Jennifer Aniston?  Far from it.  She's younger and better looking and has a whole lot more money than I do, but you know what?  I'm content with where I'm at.  I have 'enough'.  I'll be happy with what I have.
And if 'the thing' comes along, I'll be happy with that too, but don't be looking for me on eHatrmony any time soon.
Read the rest here.

7 comments:

  1. I think of a spinster as someone who has never married. Aniston has been married and divorced - not the same. I'm not sure that the term "spinster" has worn out it's time - just doesn't seem to apply anymore since women choose to remain single more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Aniston has probably both feet on the ground. When she married Brad Pitt she was forced more into the lime light. I don't see how anything could survive that. He also believed that the grass is greener ....

    Trust me on this one Deb. You'll know "he's" the right one by his sense of humor. If you laugh together ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never marry your friends (or do 'the nasty' with them), it rarely works.

    Allow me to disagree. I married my best friend and it worked for over 20 years before I got too old. And I always slept with my friends. Part of that was because I'm just NO good at the meat-market game, but most of it was because life is 90% vertical and 10% horizontal when you're in that life-zone. Ya need to talk and laugh when you're not otherwise engaged, right?

    Another thing... why is there no term similar to "spinster" for males? "Confirmed bachelor" is often code for gay... and I can't think of another term at the moment.

    Yet another thing... you're not alone. I have at least three female buds who are single and middle-aged (or better) and are NOT "looking." We've discussed this phenomenon at length, and the thing I get out of those discussions is... wait for it... "it's just not worth the trouble." I hear THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou, that's what I always thought. According to this article, we're both wrong. Who knew? Maybe neither one of us got that particular memo.
    Odie, I felt for her when she married him. Something just told me that was not the best move, but she never asked me or I'd have told her. And I know, some day when I'm not paying attention, it'll sneak up behind me and hit me over the head.
    Buck, there's a difference between me and that particular friend and you and friends with fringe. That one and I had been friends and friends only for all those 20 years. We drank beer together, shot pool together and all the things that people do together when they're friends and as soon as we got married all that went to hell in a hand-basket. I'm NO good in the meat-market game either, it's just not me.
    "Confirmed bachelor" is all I can come up with too and I agree, it's often code for gay. When I was a kid there were a few gentlemen around that were confirmed bachelors and now that I'm older, I've thought about it and maybe, just maybe, they were. But it isn't really any of my business, I just wonder.
    Your female buds have put it a whole lot better than I did, it really isn't worth the trouble. See response to Odie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb. I'm just a 30+ year married guy who married way too young, but made it work through stubbornness.

    But, I'm gonna tell you that I have NEVER thought that a single person in our age bracket was missing much. Maybe the "kid" thing. They bring great joy to your life (occasionally), but also multiple headaches (and heartaches).

    I know for certain that if anything ever happened to The Mrs., I'd be totally content to dwell alone. It almost amuses me to watch guys (and gals, too) that rush off to find another companion as soon as they divorce, or lose a mate to death. I just can't figure it out.

    But, that's just me. I guess each of us has our own needs and desires. I honestly have great respect for women (and men for that matter) that choose to go it alone. Not ONE DANG THING WRONG WITH IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy, 30+ years is great! Congrats to you and to Mrs. Andy. I've had a few thoughts on the 'kid thing' in the last few years and thought that maybe I should have made a greater effort, but then again, maybe not.
    And thanks for that, you're right there isn't ONE THING WRONG WITH IT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...you're right there isn't ONE THING WRONG WITH IT.

    Well there is ONE thing, but we won't go there. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!