Friday, March 11, 2011

damn bloody bank

In 2004 TFHU and I bought a piece of property half way between Nanton and Vulcan.  This 98 acre piece had a converted 2 car garage on it that qualified it as a 'house' so we didn't have to come up with 20% down that is required in Canada.  The plan was to save money and build a house on it but TFHU had a spending problem that ended up being the reason that we split.
When we split, it was fairly amicable; he got the farm and I kept the furniture and the dogs (fine by me, he couldn't look after himself, never mind the dogs).  We made an appointment at the bank to make everything right and the banker-lady told us that they couldn't just take me off the mortgage without me being taken off the title.  Ok, now what?  She knew a lawyer there in Nanton that could probably get us in right away so we called him and he got us in.  Back to the bank where we signed the paperwork and I was taken off the mortgage, right?  WRONG.  3 years go by and his mortgage payment is taken out of my account!  I blew a nut on the bank and ended up getting my money back.  It happened another time and I got it straightened out a second time. 
Fast forward to last Friday when I stopped to get my weekly libations at the local beer store and I pull out my bank card.  Insufficient funds.  Great big ol' WTF?  Try my savings account, same thing.  Now I'm in a panic.  I got home and called my accounts up on the 'net and both accounts are totally empty.  Zero, zilch, not even a penny in either one.  This is 4:30 in the afternoon, how much help do you think I'm gonna get at that time on a Friday? I got on the blower right away to find out what was going on.  It seems that IJIT hasn't paid for a while and because he also hasn't gone and applied for the mortgage on his own, I'm still on it and still liable for it.  AND they scooped close to a grand out of my accounts to make it right (with them).  I've been on the phone with them for most of the week and it looks like I'm not going to get my money back.  The mortgage has gone to collections and the property will probably be seized and sold and because my name is no longer on the title, whatever they get above what's owing goes directly to puss-nuts.  The last gal that I spoke with on the phone told me that we were both getting Demand Letters regarding the mortgage.  Perfect.  Just what I need.  Seems it never rains, it pours.
You know, I'm not a banker, never professed to be, but when the banker is sitting across the desk from me telling me what I have to do and I do it, I believe what they've told me.  I also told the gal on the phone that the person that created this whole fiasco should be FIRED.  Not now, but right F***in' now.
I think that I have to make an appointment with a lawyer.

4 comments:

  1. I think that I have to make an appointment with a lawyer.

    Roger that. Toot sweet, if not before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure that woman is named in the lawsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thing Monday morning guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you're having to go through this. Regarding your course of action, I agree with B. and W. Make 'em pay. Dearly.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!