Another Albertan that's a pretty good writer and picker, Gord Bamford has worked hard to get to where he's at. Have a listen to this one that reaches out and touches me.
Another one that's a hellofa musician is Jimmy Rankin. He and his family recorded together for a long time and then he split off to do his own thing. One of the family members was killed in a car accident one winter while on the way to a hockey game (or practice, I don't recall which) which leads us to our first selection from The Rankins. I saw an interview with one of the sisters and she said that after the funeral they family was doing family things and this video came on CMT Canada. She asked the other sister (the one singing here) if she wanted it turned off and the singer said "No, it's fitting."
Fare Thee Well
And on a lighter note; The Mullholland Shuffle.
Jimmy went on his own shortly after his brother's death and has done some wonderful things. This is a selection from one of his early solo albums.
And one from his latest that Kieth Urban joins him on.
The Rankins still travel together once in a while, but they don't seem to be as prolific as they used to be. Shame.
This is where we part company, Deb. I have a few (very few) country albums and can only take the genre in small doses at certain times. But I LOVES me some Lyle Lovett and Emmylou Harris... go figure.
ReplyDeletewv: sympl. What country music is. You can take that two ways, but I mean the good side.
I figgered that one would be more than a little bit of an overload for you Buck.
ReplyDeleteAnd I know that you meant on the good side.
But don't leave me because of it! You're prob'ly the best input that I get!
ReplyDeleteThanks for these selections, Deb. I really like the first one by the Bamford guy. I think I'll check out some more of his music. That said, I enjoyed all the Rankin family stuff as well and Jimmy does have one smooth country voice. The last song/video was a good one although the Arabic guy with the green sign was a bit jarring for this old cow pie kicker. Anyway, thanks, I'll be looking a little deeper into Bamford and the Rankins.
ReplyDeleteYou're prob'ly the best input that I get!
ReplyDeleteWe're blushing here.
Glad you're back.
ReplyDeleteDeb, I think we were having the same problems with posting comments. Mine were showing up as anonymous also. Try this:
ReplyDelete1. After going from your home page, go directly to your OWN blog site.
2. Click on "Sign In", put the info there and unclick the keep me signed on box.
3. You should then be able to comment on your own as well as other blog sites.
4. Before getting off of the computer be sure to sign out
5. When getting back on the computer, go through the above steps.
It worked for me and cured my problems, thanks to Buck and the Woodsterman.
Good Luck. Good music by the way.
I like the Rankin's music - thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI have a disc that was recorded live in Vancouver that just blows the doors off. I like to throw it on when I'm cleaning house.
ReplyDelete