Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A few quotes

One from a silly TV show that I was watching (had enough beer under my belt that I can't remember which), and the others from a book that I just read.  The book was so good that as soon as I finished it, I spun it over and read it again.

First:
     Younger women date older men to have someone to look after them; older women date younger men because they can look afer themselves.
Wow, that says a lot, doesn't it?  But we still know how silly we look doing it.

And now from the book 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert:
     'Virginia Woolfe wrote, "Across the broad continent of a woman's life falls the shadow of a sword."  On one side of that sword, she said, there lies convention and tradition and order, where "all is correct."  But on the other side of that sword, if you're crazy enough to cross it and choose a life that does not follow convention, "all is confusion.  Nothing follows a regular course."  Her argument was that the crossing of the shadow of that sword may bring a far more interesting existence to a woman, but you can bet it will also be more perilous.
     ........................
     'The Bagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. (emphasis mine)  Imperfect and clumsy as it may look, it is resembling me now, thoroughly.'

As imperfect as my existence may be, it's mine, and mine alone.  I seem to muddle through and things work out in the end.  That's all that's important, isn't it?


The next one from the book is NOT, in any way, meant to be a slam at my faithful American readers.  It just struck me that, as citizens of any country in the world, we don't realize how we're perceived in other countries by the actions of our leaders.
     Elizabeth is in Italy at the beginning of a quest to rebuild herself mentally after a very nasty and prolonged divorce, learning to speak the language (which I'd love to learn, I'll have to put it on my to do list), and to help her with the language she reads the paper every day.

     'In more serious bad news, nineteen Italian soldiers have recently been killed in The Americans' War (as it is called here) in Iraq - the largest number of military deaths in Italy since World War II.  The Romans were shocked by these deaths and the city closed own the day the boys were buried.  The wide majority of Italians want nothing to do with George Bush's war.  The involvement was the decision of Silvio Berlusconi, Italy's prime minister (more commonly referred to around these parts as l'idiota).  This intellect-free soccer-club-owning businessman, with his oily film of corruption and sleaze, who regularly embarasses his fellow citizens by making lewd gestures in the European parliament, who has mastered the art of speaking l'aria fritta (fried air), who generally behaves not at all like a proper world leader but like a Waterbury mayor (that's an inside joke for Connecticut residents only - sorry), has now engaged the Italians in a war they see as none of their business whatsoever.
     "They died for freedom," Berlusconi said at the funeral of the nineteen Italian soldiers, but most Romans have a different opinion: They died for George Bush's personal vendetta.  In this political climate, one might think it would be difficult to be a visiting American.  Indeed, when I came to Italy, I expected to encounter a certain amount of resentment, but have received instead empathy from most Italians.  In any reference to George Bush, people only nod to Berlusconi, saying, "We understand how it is - we have one, too."
     We've been there.

This book is highly recommended, take it for a test-drive.  Well written and very humorous (in parts), a good read.

7 comments:

  1. You can only describe your life as imperfect if you chose to allow someone else's definition of your life to be the preferred standard. Since you chose to refer to an Indian reference you should remember the last line of a little Buddist tale which says"Why should I allow someone elses words and actions determine how I feel about myself. Arturo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Younger women date older men to have someone to look after them; older women date younger men because they can look afer themselves.

    Bein' the basically shallow and superficial sort I AM... I think it's for entirely different reasons. I'm reading a lot into the term "date," of course. YMMV, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarification: I'm talking about older women/younger men, not the other bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bein' the basically shallow and superficial sort I AM... I think it's for entirely different reasons. I'm thinking you would probably be correct in a lot more cases than not. But then, there's the training involved.

    And bloody Blogger's at it again. When the hell are they gonna fix this stupid situation where I can't even comment on my own blog!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to be blunt here: I don't give a rat's ass what the Italians (or just about any other European country) think about the U.S.

    Isn't Italy the country that is threatening to charge seismologists with homicide for failing to predict an earthquake? Think about what that says about their country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And how many Italian soldiers are buried in the United States? None, I suspect.

    How many American soldiers are buried in Italy? A quickly google search gave me a rough count of at least 12,000.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb: Try these two things: (1) log out of your Google account and then log back in. (2) If that doesn't work, delete the cookies in your browser (google "deleting cookies" if ya don't know how), close the browser and re-open it, i.e., restart your browser. That SHOULD work.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!