Thursday, June 23, 2011

A follow-up to 'I'm almost ashamed to be Canadian'

From the op/ed pages of today's paper.


Loving Canada

By Sue Williams, Calgary Herald June 23, 2011 Re: "Anger over the Vancouver riot goes on and on," Vance Rodewalt, Editorial Cartoon, June 21.

Your cartoon was almost spot on. I arrived last week in Calgary for a two-month summer vacation away from a sizzling Arizona and was surprised to see so much media coverage on the Vancouver "riots."

Lighten up, Canadians, and put things in perspective! The perpetrators of these shenanigans were idiots who probably had far too much beer and fell easily into mob mentalities. Yes, I can see where the disturbance would be embarrassing to Canadians, but stuff happens everywhere.

Trust me, you have not tarnished your reputation in the world.

Canadians are arguably the most compassionate, friendly, tolerant, environmentally conscious, courageous and generous people in the world. An article I read not too long ago touted Canada as the happiest nation on Earth -not surprising considering the customs and philosophies of its people.

It would take a lot more Vancouver events to even begin to sully Canada's name.

Sue Williams, Sedona, Ariz.





Read more:
 
 
Well thank you Sue, and welcome to Calgary.  I hope you enjoy your stay.

4 comments:

  1. ...a two-month summer vacation away from a sizzling Arizona...

    Dang. That sounds like a PLAN, coz NM is sizzling just as much as AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you'll just have to put the Movil back in the Casa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much Advil is required to restore the Movil. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta luv that fine lady. Maybe you could phone her up and offer her a Blue.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!