Saturday, May 7, 2011

from the op/ed pages of this morning's paper

Hi, neighbours



Hi. I'm a 59-year-old American man, living in San Antonio, Texas. Nothing very special about me. I don't hold any political office and I don't represent anyone but myself. But I just watched a video about Canada that was originally broadcast during the 2010 Olympic Games. It features American newsman Tom Brokaw speaking about you and your country.

Watching it reminded me that I wanted to write this e-mail to a Canadian newspaper that might publish it for its Canadian readers so I could say, "Thank you, Canada" and "Well done, friends!" and something along the lines of, "I'm feeling rather glad and fortunate and respectful that you are who you are, that you're the neighbours America can look to for so many different things, and that I wish all of you well."

I guess that's kind of a vague, out of the blue sort of message to send to anyone, and certainly to an entire country at large, but it's heartfelt.

And if you're ever in San Antonio, look me up. I'd like to buy you a beer.



Stephen Maynard, San Antonio, Texas


And if I'm ever in San Antonio Sir, I will take you up on your offer of a beer.  Cheers.

6 comments:

  1. Another Canadian blogger friend of mine posted that Brokaw vid and here's what I had to say...

    Forgive me, but Brokaw irritates the hell outta me. He always comes off as some sorta lecturing fool for us ignorant plebes. Nice images in the video, tho… as far as I went. This thing might be appropriate or illuminating for those Americans who never left Des Moines, but for those of us who’ve lived in close proximity to Canuckistan it just grates.

    She came back with...

    Forget Brokaw Buck.
    Its the message that counts.
    And while you are an exception to the rule, do you know how many Americans know very little about who Canadians are? The second largest country in the world, their neighbour? It’s sad and pathetic honestly.
    This was a pretty nicely summed up in a palatable manner for Americans to say, Oh! That’s who they are! Because honestly, most don’t have a clue… in fact, most don’t have a clue who the hell they are let alone their neighbour.
    Just sayin’ iz all.


    We both had valid points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't actually seen the vid, but will watch it (thanks for the link btw). I posted it more for the sentiment of the writer than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I gotta admit that I really knew very little about Canada, or the wonderful folks that live there until I started blogging, and fell in with some of the most "stand-up" typers on the planet. Canadians.

    I've really come to appreshunate them all. Even though I've been to Canada, it was only to Montreal & Quebec City. I've figured out that the REAL Canada lies somewhere outside that zone. Or, at least I think so.

    And, let me ditto the offer for a beer. They have it in Louisiana, too. San Antonio ain't all that far from Bossier City (by North American standards), so after you throw a few back with Stephen, head Northeast, and put us next in line.

    Pam can't stand beer, so I've never had the pleasure of buying a gal one. Well, actually I did buy her a six pack once. Our oldest son (an infant at the time) was having some trouble sleeping and someone told her to drink some beer so that the breast milk would "yeast up," or some such thing (I don't remember exactly why). She got about half of one down, and gave up on the idea.

    I didn't care. More beer for me. And, that came in awfully handy while dealing with a sleepless, screaming child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't a lecture from Brokaw to know that Canada is a fine country, and that the average Canadian is a stand up person.

    We've got beer in Washington, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! I think Blogger ate my comment!

    Here's a second try at it:

    I've only seen the SW corner of BC and ridden the ferry to Victoria. So I'm not rich in first-hand knowledge of Canada. But it is hard to think of two countries anywhere on earth that get along as well as Canada and the USA. I'm thankful to be next door to such good people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well thankee y'all. We appreciate you too.
    I've figured out that the REAL Canada lies somewhere outside that zone. Or, at least I think so. Andy, you soooo have that part right.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!