Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chicken

Last Thursday on my way home, I had a yen for something off the bar-b so I stopped at the Co-Op across the street and grabbed 5 pounds of 'taters (which for me is a feat, I don't eat many 'taters), some mushrooms, onions and garlic, a couple of steaks and a whole chicken (I was undecided as to what, exactly, I wanted).   I got home and had a beer out on the deck and sent PT a text, 'How hot do you make the bar-b for beer-can chicken?'  No response.  WTF? He showed up about an hour later and I asked him why he hadn't responded.  'To what?'  'My text.'  'Phone was in the truck.'  'Ok.'  'What did it say?'  So I told him.  I had made up my mind.  So off we went.  Set the grill on high-high and go prep the bird.  Rub some spices on it, jam a half-full beer can up it's rump, turn the heat down to medium and put the bird on the grill.  Let'r rip for about an hour (or until the chicken is cooked) and, Bob's yer Uncle, it's time to eat.  Toss some sliced potatoes with a whole sliced onion, a couple of whole peeled garlic cloves and some fresh sliced mushrooms with butter in a tin-foil packet on with it, and there's most of your dinner, just add some veggies of choice.  YUM.  Dinner was delicious. 
There were enough leftovers that I removed the rest of the meat from the bones and cut it up, sliced up the remaining potatoes, etc threw them in the bottom of a baking dish along with 9 eggs mixed with 1/4 cup of flour, baked for 45 minutes, and there you have it, quiche.
If you've never tried beer-can chicken give it a whirl.  Very good, very easy and not very time consuming so you can get on to other things. (like drinking beer)

4 comments:

  1. The chicken sounds good, I'll have to try the beer can thing sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinner is done on the grill more times than not in summer. I do that tinfoil potato (with various, changeable ingredients) thing, too. Deeelish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think beer makes everything taste better--added to or drunk with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sentiments exactly Dan!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!