Friday, May 27, 2011

From the Op/Ed pages of the Calgary Herald

This one is way too good not to share.


Crackers for Canucks



Recently on our website, a Vancouver Canucks fan referred to Albertans as “hillbillie (sic) rednecks” and said he didn’t care if we cheered for his team or not. We prefer the pejorative of “cracker,” which is more inclusive. Hillbilly generally refers to Appalachian hill people, whereas cracker, although originally associated with rural people from Georgia and Florida, might be more applicable to Alberta because it derives from the whip crack of cattle drivers, according to one etymological theory.

Regardless of what they call us, we’re pulling for the Canucks in the Stanley Cup finals. Contrary to the deep-seated divisional animosity that exists between some Flames fans and the West Coast version of Team Sweden, we believe it is possible and, in fact, imperative, to cheer for a team you loathe eight months of the year.

If Vancouver wins the Cup, it will strengthen the regional rivalry between the Flames, Oilers, Canucks and, hopefully, Winnipeg. When the dreaded Edmonton Oilers were the dominant NHL team, Calgary stepped up its game to win a Stanley Cup in 1989. Good begets good.

Even if the Canuckleheads weren’t in our ‘hood, we’d still pull for a Canadian team — even, gulp, Edmonton, if it came to that.

Between Boston and Tampa, we’re pulling tonight for Boston, for two reasons. Playing hockey in Florida in June is weird. And, if Boston wins, it will sorely test the loyalty of Bruins booster Don Cherry in a Boston-Vancouver final.

Our loyalty rests with any team on Canadian soil, regardless of how many Swedish twins are on the roster.

Read more:

2 comments:

  1. I read a piece in the Globe and Mail (I think) that watching Lecavalier & Co hoist the Cup would be MUCH more Canadian than watching the Sedins do it. But then again there's Looooo, of course.

    You KNOW I'm rooting for the Yzerbolts. That said, it was good to watch the Sharts lose in five. Too bad it wasn't to Dee-troit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You KNOW I'm rooting for the Yzerbolts. Don't tell anybody how unpatriotic I am, but I am too. The thought of the inconsistent Sedins hoisting the cup makes me rather ill.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!