Monday, February 28, 2011

What's Deb been up to?

Well I hate to tell you this but not much of anything except watching curling.  The Scotties Tournament of Hearts (ladies only) was on last week so we tuned in as soon as we got home and stayed glued to the teevee until the broadcast was over (which eats up a whole lot of time I'll tell you).  But it was well worth it. 
The reigning skip of Team Canada had unceremoniously dumped her third (throws third in the team rotation) in April and said third, Cathy Overton-Clapham, was scrambling most of the summer to put a team together.  Cathy O got it done and qualified to showed up at the SToH which is no small feat.  You have to be the best in your province to get there and women's curling has come a long way.  Well they ended up in a game against each other and of course the media made a huge deal out of the match-up and how was it going to end up.  Were there going to be fire-works?  Nope, Cathy O has way too much class for that.  She just handed her her ass on the ice and out curled her with every shot.  Tried to find a video of the last couple of shots, but they're only up on TSN's site, go to the right side of the page and click on MAN 8 CAN 6 to have a look.  Team Canada did make it to the final, but guess what?  They lost to Saskatchewan.  They didn't just lose the game, they also lost the distinction of being Team Canada which comes with a bunch of perks, one of which is $260,000 a year.  OOPS.
The future of women's curling is looking so very bright.  The Ontario team's average age is 22.  Dang puppies!  Their skip, Rachel Homan is one helluva shot and managed a multiple take-out to score 5 in one end.  Now that's a whole lot of precision and talent all rolled into one li'l bundle and I can see a bunch of titles and medals in this young team's future (prob'ly Olympic material).  They made it to the Bronze medal round and were unfortunately defeated but took home a cheque for 75 hundred bucks which isn't a bad pay day as far as I'm concerned.  I looked for a clip of the great shot that I was telling you about but they haven't hit the Tube of U yet and aren't up on TSN's site either.  Maybe they didn't think it was as good a shot as I did.
Looks like we'll be distracted for another week, starting the 5th.  The Tim Horton's Brier is on (men only) and the men can really throw some howitzers down the sheet so it should make for some exciting watching.  Kevin Martin's team took the gold medal at the Olympics last year and he's up against some pretty stiff competition.  Oh, did I mention that I'm in love with his third?  John Morris is a fireman in a little town not too far from here.  I was going to call him up and offer to polish his....  truck.  Ya, that's right, his truck.  Yummy......  Go have a look.
And this was one of the moments that I felt most patriotic during the whole 10 days of the Olympcs.

4 comments:

  1. I've watched curling on the Olympics, but that is about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this was one of the moments that I felt most patriotic...

    One of the things I LOVE about hockey is you see both the US and Canadian flags suspended from the rafters in every NHL arena. Another thing: almost every American fan knows the words to "O Canada" by heart. It was just pretty danged cool to see 20,000+ fans sing along at The Joe.

    I know. You were on about curling. But you DID post the anthem vid, Deb. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda left myself wide open there, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!