Monday, February 7, 2011

Wonderful

So, we got slammed with 4-6" of new snow over night and I knew the commute to work was going to be slow but this was ridiculous!  I left at my usual time and traffic was heavier than normal but that was to be expected, there had been warnings on the radio all day yesterday.  Took my usual route; Stoney Trail to 17th Ave, over to 84th Street, and then south-bound to 114th Ave.  Moving along pretty good on 114th and then it was all stop.  There were 4 or 5 vehicles behind a semi and something going on in front of the semi that I couldn't see except for the flasing lights of a fire truck and what looked to be a mini van in the ditch with its flashers on.  That was at 06:40.  At 06:45 I called the office to leave a message with a co-worker that I was stuck in traffic (I'm usually the only one here until shortly after 7) and she answered the phone (I guess she had the same thoughts that I did about the commute) and I told her what was going on and that as soon as they cleared whatever was the hold up, I'd be in. 
Well, we drank the coffee that's usually reserved for once I get to work, smoked a couple of cigarettes, and SAT.  114th at the point of the accident is a single lane in each direction.  Can't go forward, can't go backward, and with the length of my truck, can't turn around.  The fire truck left, the police seemed to leave but then appeared behind me at an intersection, redirecting traffic around the block, and still, we SAT.  By 07:45 the 2 cups of tea that I had had before leaving for work and then the coffee in the truck were not looking like such a good idea.  I really had to pee.  A tow truck finally showed up and hauled what looked like a Dodge 1/2 ton away and I thought 'perfect'!  Nope.  Wait some more.  They finally got one lane cleared and we finally got moving.  When we went by, it looked like Mr. Dodge and a Toyota 4-Runner had hit head-on and I'm not sure what caused Mr. Mini Van to hit the ditch. 
I finally made it to work at 08:15, and when I came in the first thing I did was hit the W/C.  Phewf!  2 hours for a 1/2 hour commute is a little much.
I so don't understand what it is with drivers in this weather.  Just because you have 4 wheel drive, doesn't mean that you are invincible or can stop any faster than anyone else out there.  For God's sake, people, shake yer heads and grab a brain!

5 comments:

  1. Just because you have 4 wheel drive,...

    Heh. That was my frickin' MANTRA when I lived in serious snow country. It's a wonder I didn't shoot a few of those idiots... I never knew the depth of my self-restraint.

    Two hours without access to the loo and morning coffee? There would have been a yellow puddle beside the driver's door had that been me. But I'll admit that sorta thang is easier for us guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I drive a 4 wheel drive. No explanation for some people's stupidity.

    It was getting to the point of squatting by the door, I'll tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son used to have a fairly long commute in Dallas of about an hour, one way. It was only 30 miles but the traffic was so thick, motorists just crept along. He learned from an experience similar to yours to limit his coffee to one cup before leaving home. Thank goodness the new expressway is finished and his trip is only 30 minutes now. I'm retired now but when I worked I drove up the country road through the hollow about 15 miles. No traffic, horses grazing, etc. Very pleasant commute. That's the one thing I miss about work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop. The real pisser of these events is that the "authorities" are never in a rush to clear the mess and get things moving again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's called not slowing down and thinking a 4X4 can stop better than a 2 wheel drive.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!