Thursday, January 13, 2011
The Radio Police
So the radio police have handed down a decision on a rock classic that was written in 1985, deeming it to be 'unfit'. What kind of crap is this when a single complaint can have a song banned that has been on the air for, let's see, 26 years? More gubmint meddling....... As Buck would say "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
Money For Nothing, a classic-rock radio staple by Dire Straits, is too offensive for Canadian broadcasts because of its use of the word "faggot," the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has ruled.
The ruling, released Wednesday, responded to a complaint submitted to St. John's radio station CHOZ-FM over a Feb. 1 airing of an unedited version of the song, which mentions the word three times.
The complainant wrote that the song's lyrics were "extremely offensive" to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.
The council is an independent body created by Canadian radio and television broadcasters to review the standards of their content.
Read more:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Uh...I could understand this if the song just came out, but twenty-six years after the fact?
ReplyDeleteI shook my head when I saw this on the news this morning. I had secretly hoped that you Canadians hadn't succumbed to the PC bullshit, but I guess I was mistaken.
ReplyDeleteThe PC word police are everywhere!
ReplyDeleteWell, here's my second or third OMFG moment of the day.
ReplyDeleteIt is to weep.
It may not fly in the Prairie Provinces. There is a bit more of a spirit of freedom in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Cowboys, Farmers and Roughnecks.
ReplyDeleteBut it is sad to see the lack of knowledge pertaining to simply paying attention.
Gotta feeling the rock stations out west may have a little fun with the council on this one.