Sunday, January 9, 2011

Needle-in-the-eye doctor II

Friday I had to go for my check-up at the needle-in-the-eye doctor.  As soon as I walked in I could tell this was going to be a shit-show; the waiting room was jammed and that never bodes well. 
Dr. Anna has moved from a location in SW Calgary to a building downtown and started her own practice.  I hate, hate, HATE going dowtown.  First traffic is horrible (I don't suffer bad drivers well) and then the parking thing is next on my list.  I drive a GMC 3/4 ton extended cab with a long box and it's a real pig to find a spot to put it in what with them making spots smaller and smaller in an effort to squeeze out one more.  I finally found a spot kitty-corner across the street from the buiding with a 2 hour limit and went in.  When I saw the waiting room I started to get twitchy and thought maybe, just maybe things would start looking up.  My appointment was for 2:20.  That came.  And went.  At 3:30, I was called in and the gal checked my eyes and put those damn dilation drops in and told me to go and...... WAIT.   I figgered that maybe Dr. Anna would call me soon, but noooooooo.  At 4:05 one of the other gals came by and said "You're the last in line."  Well obviously.  I'm the only one sitting here!  At 4:15 Dr. Anna finally called me in and checked things out and decided that I didn't need to come bck for 6 months this time (YAY).  A 5 minute check-up took 2 hours.  I made my next appointment, left the office, took the elevator down and when I hit the street I looked over and Blue was GONE!
There's nothing quite like that gut kick you get when all of a sudden your vehicle is NOT where you left it.  It just didn't magically start itself and leave because it was bored!  The best part?  Seeing her go by on a hook.  Ok, I admit it.  I said a whole lot of  really bad words as I was pulling my phone out.  Regis, can I call a friend?  Called my buddy Andy and as soon as he answered I had a little melt down.  It was bad enough that he didn't recognize my voice and asked me 'who is this?'.  I got my act together right away and told him what had happened and asked if he would mind coming to pick me up.  I knew he had to curl later that night so it really was a big favor to ask.  He asked me where I was and told me he'd come to get me and that he'd just take me home and then when he was done curling Saturday morning he'd come get me and take me to the impound yard to get Blue out of jail.  That was really nice.
So there I was, no cigarettes (they were in the truck and I ended up buying some from the place that was really close to the scene of the crime) standing on the corner of 17th Ave. and 9th Street like some ho', waiting for Andy to get there.  Glad the storm that's been blowing here held off 'til Saturday.  It was cold enough that my butt-cheeks were jumping and I knew the knee-caps would start soon.
As promised, Andy showed up Saturday 'round noon and off we went to the Calgary Parking Authority to rescue Blue.  Oh, what FUN!  When we went in to the building there were at least 20 people in line.  Great.  And it wasn't moving.  Finally made it to the head of the line and was asked for driver's license, registration and insurance.  Ok, it's in the truck.  Where else would it be?  Go over there, someone will come for you and take you to your vehicle.  Wonderful.  I don't know if you've dealt with them before, but dang they're slow!  Someone finally came and called my name (the dreaded Deborah, EEW) and took me out to my truck and I asked if it was ok to start it and let it run to warm up.  Go ahead.  Sign here to acknowledge that it was actually you that was in the truck and go back inside and WAIT, they will call you up to do the paperwork.  Do the paperwork and go over there and WAIT someone will come to take you to your vehicle!  By the time the dust settled it cost me $250.00 to get Blue out of jail and 3 hours wasted at the dreadful PA. 
There was one humorous moment when some jack-off pulled up in a Land Rover and parked in a handicap zone.  He was sitting there, waiting for someone in the building.  When he was asked to move, he refused.  Ok, idiot, you're in Calgary Parking Authority's yard and you pull this?  One of the employees came out, ticket book in hand, and started writing a ticket.  Mr. Land Rover got out of his vehicle and started beaking off at the guy, turned around, jumped back in and tore out of the lot like the hounds of hell were after him.  Serves him right.  And provided some comic relief for the suffering masses inside the building.
Not really the way that I wanted to spend my Saturday afernoon.  I might have to flip the bill to Dr. Anna.  How do you think that'll go over?

8 comments:

  1. Aiiieee. NOT a good way to spend a Saturday, but there WAS the good news on Friday. Yays!

    re: eye doctor. My time is coming. I have small cataracts and my ophthalmologist put me on annual recall at my last appointment (as opposed to the usual bi-annual) along with the comforting words "there's surgery in your future." Oh, goodie. I think the future is close to hand, coz "things" ain't as clear as they useta be. But I hear the current laser techniques are pretty good and as close to painless as it gets. All shall be revealed (heh), soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck! Waiting, doctor's appointments, and walking out to find your truck is gone. That is definitely not a fun way to spend any day. (How ridiculous is it that you had to wait two hours for five minutes of "Oh, you can come back in six months". Gee, thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck
    I don't envy you one bit. I don't like someone messin' with my eyes. But as they say, this too, shall pass. Hope all goes well for you.
    Dani
    It was definitely a 'sinking feeling'. Now what do I do. Good thing I have a good friend in Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our car was stolen off the street in Guad and it only took 7 of those 3 hour deals just to process the fact that we'd never get it back. Gotta love the system. Glad you got good news about your eyes.renti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that just plain sucks. But you knew that already.

    I'd send the bill to the doctor, just to make a point, and waste some of her time having to deal with your request. It chaps my ass to no end that doctors, cable companies, et al have absolutely no qualms about wasting our valuable time while we sit around waiting on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've played that waiting game with doctors. I now give them 1 hour and don't say anything as I leave and pay the bill. If it takes 2 hours I deduct 1 hour of my pay from their bill. After all, I explain to them, I was here for two hours and saw the doctor at $150.00 for five minutes. I write a check for $125.00 and hand it to them and tell them too bad. I usually get an apology in the mail 2 weeks later. You see while I was the there the nurse tried to play chicken with me telling me I was no longer welcome there ... I said fine (you can do that here with our medicine, well for awhile anyway). The doctor decided he didn't want to loose another patient.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odie
    Next time I walk in and see that, I'll just go directly to reception and reschedule. Unfortunately, I can't change doctors, she's a specialist (and up here it can take months to get in to see one) or I would.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that bites - big time Deb. So sorry you had to deal with that crap. So glad you've got an Andy tho. He really is the best isn't he? Also so glad of your tale telling skills. What a good read. Had me nodding my head with personal understanding all the way through. lol! Keep it up Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!