Just when I thought that nobody was following along with my ramblings I got an email from Dad regarding 'a horse show with Kim'. What follows is the email that I got from him on a rather exciting halter class (I know, that sounds sooooooooooo like an oxymoron) and the beginnings of one of the greatest Arabian stallions ever. I've put his picture at the top.................................
Dad says,
I enjoyed your discussion of the Arab halter class and was reminded of one Sat. nite in the late sixties at the Canadian Nationals when the Stallion Championship came down to the senior Canadian Champion and a jr Stallion who was sent up from California in hopes of at least getting a Jr.Canadian Championship. When the judge narrowed it down to the 2 finalists he excused the remainder and asked the handlers to reshow their horses and it was electrifying. It was extremely close and the judge did something very unusual, he asked the handlers to bring the two to the center of the arena and to have them stand face to face about ten feet apart. Suddenly there was a ripple of applause that soon engulfed the entire crowd as the young stud lit up like a welders arc and the show was over. The judge pointed to the young stud and the crowd went wild.
That was the start of the show career of the great Khemosabi who went on to win US National championships for many years to come.
The reason I remember it so well is I had a ringside seat. I was the whipper- in for the finals that night and had the special privilege of witnessing that performance close up.
Thanks for the memories Dad
Thank would've been so cool to see!
ReplyDeletekinda made the hair on the back of my neck stand up
ReplyDeleteBeen a loooong time since I spoke 'horse'. When Dad said he was the 'whipper-in' what is that?
ReplyDeleteStill a cool story.
A 'whipper-in' is the guy at the in-gate who announces the next class, makes sure that all the horses entered in the class are present, opens the gate at the appropriate time, etc.
ReplyDelete