So..............while the fencing of the yard was underway, I mentioned to the former husband-unit that we should turn a half compound behind the garage into a full compound for the dogs and install a dog door in the back of the garage so they had access to outside during the day while I was at work. Oh my, another plan that looked really good on paper. We put a couple more fence posts in, stapled up some page wire, and put in the dog door and then off to work he went for his regular 3 week stint that Friday morning. I had dropped him at the bus and gone to work. This worked pretty well for the first week and a half. But I came home one day and went to let the girls out of their room and their was Jazz but no Niki. I went up the stairs to let Jazz out and start looking for Niki, and there she was, lying on the deck with the cat between her legs. (the cat's another story best told another day) How the heck did she get out? Ah ha! Crawled up the wood fence that the page wire was attached to and voila, we've escaped! Went to work the next day thinking that everything was ok and I wasn't there more than a couple of hours when my cell phone rang. The new neighbor was on the phone (she was deathly afraid of dogs, and these were puppies!) the girls were loose in her yard. I told her that I was on my way and ran around the corner to let my boss know that my dogs were loose, I had to go. I flew home (1/2 hour south of the city), captured the dogs, put them back in their room and blocked the dog door. I was back at the office in just over an hour and the boss asked me if I had logged a flight plan. Well we lived like that until Ian came home again.
When Ian came home he got the electric fencer out, strung some wire around the top of the fence. There, that'll keep them contained. Not so fast Spudge (that's what I used to call him). He was sitting on the deck having a beer, dogs in their compound. Niki decided that she didn't want to be in there, she wanted to be on the deck with him so she proceeded to crawl up the side of the fence. When she got to the top she stuck her great big German Shepherd beak under the fence wire and WHAM, got nailed. I don't know how many of you have had a belt off an electric fencer, but it hurts like hell and she landed ass-over-tea-cart on her back in the middle of the pen. Not being the smartest shephed in the whole wide world at that time, she decided to give it another go and got the same thing. Now before you go condeming me for animal abuse, I didn't do a thing to her. She did it to herself and guess what, she hasn't climbed a fence since. Maybe I should run a line around the lower part of the fence in town for Jazz.
Haha, we had a dog like that! Lot smaller than a German Shepherd though.
ReplyDeleteGOOD JOB !!!! MUM
ReplyDeleteAnd why do we love them so much, again?
ReplyDeleteHmmmm....
Sometimes I think, never again!
Then a soft wet nose gives me kisses and I remember.