CNN ranks Calgary Stampede #5 on list of world's best party spots
CNNGo.com has picked the Calgary Stampede as the No. 5 place to party in the world. “The world’s largest rodeo draws an estimated 250,000 wannabe cowgirls and cowboys looking to drink beer, yell yee-haw and soak up the Wild West lifestyle,” says the article.
Photograph by: Ted Rhodes, Calgary Herald
The Stampede, which CNN puts in the Top Five of 15 places in the world to party like a rock star, sits on the same pedestal as popular international destinations like Rio de Janeiro, the Marquee nightclub in Las Vegas and Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
“That’s incredible,” said Jennifer Booth, a spokeswoman for the Stampede.
“Every year we try to put on the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth and, obviously, people are seeing that.”
Booth said being uttered in the same breath as Mardi Gras and South Beach in Miami is an honour.
The article, which appeared on CNNGo.com, says the list is aimed at “party animals looking to let loose and get wild” and for those “on the hunt for hedonistic hot spots where you can leave conventions (and often your clothes) at the door.”
The article characterizes the Stampede as Beer, Brawl and Brawn.
“The world’s largest rodeo draws an estimated 250,000 wannabe cowgirls and cowboys looking to drink beer, yell yee-haw and soak up the Wild West lifestyle,” says the article.
The No. 1 party destination on the list is Full Moon Party, Koh Pha Ngan, Thailand.
Mardi Gras in New Orleans was listed at No. 10.
I had a good friend and co-worker who is Canadian; she invited me to join her and her peeps at the Stampede the year of my divorce. I declined, mainly because I was seriously lousy company at that point in time. I regretted that decision after reviewing the pics she brought back and I REALLY regret it now. I don't have many missed opportunities (or regrets) in life, but this is one of the biggest.
ReplyDelete...I was seriously lousy company at that point in time. Who knows, it may have cheered you up. (a little)
ReplyDeleteYou beat Mardi Gras? Who'd a thunk. Although, I would have picked the National Shuffleboard Championships in Orlando, Florida for 5th place.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to see it once...benn to rodeos but this has to beat all!
ReplyDeleteOdie, National Shuffleboard Championships. Nyuk, you MUST be old!
ReplyDeleteScott, it's a ten-day runaway. Great music all over the city (not just country, Tom Cochrane was at Nashville North one year and he's not the only rock act) and we seem to be able to get along well.
When we were in Calgary for Toby's work, the Canadian employees told some pretty wild stories of the Stampede. It is something we would love to see someday.
ReplyDeleteCanada rocks! Except those guys I read about who are supposedly involved in the "occupation" of Wall Street.
ReplyDeleteDeb, these are the jokes my girl. I apologize, I write all my own material.
ReplyDelete