Thursday, December 22, 2011

I've really gone and done it this time

My knee that is, AGAIN.  For. The. Third. Time. This. Year.
Only it's really hooped this time.  An occasional correspondent asked me in all sincerity how I was doing the other day and I had to tell him not good.  You see, Friday evening on my way to bed, I twisted it so bad that I went down like a sack of shit and could not get back up. So, being the tough guy that I am, I clawed my way down the hall and off to bed, thinking it would be better in the morning.  WRONG.  It was just as bad, if not worse and I had to claw my way back down the hall in the morning to let the girls out and navigate the stairs on my ass.  My knee was twice the size of the other one and extremely painful, but it'll get better right?  Nope.  I sent a text to my good friend Andy to ask if he still had his crutches from when he had ankle surgery a couple of years ago and God bless him, he still did and would bring them over after he finished curling.  That was Saturday.
Sunday morning nothing had changed even though I had been icing it and elevating it all day Saturday and I still couldn't put ANY weight on it and being my right knee, couldn't even drive.  So I made a call to my boss and let him know what was going on and that I was pretty much out, and not knowing when I would be back.  Good thing it's the season and the office is closed next week.  I went to see the doctor yesterday that once again my good friend Andy took time off work to drive me to and it's not so good.

The good
It's a long way from my heart (as my Daddy would say) and I'll live.

The bad
Stay off it for another week.

The ugly
Go for a week of physio therapy.  I wonder how bad that's going to hurt.

The ugliest
When the physio doesn't get the desired results, go for an MRI and find out what's going on in there.

Oh, and in the meantime?  Stay on the sticks.  Not the most fun thing to learn when you're my age.  The girls have adjusted very well to them.  They haven't knocked me over and seem to know to get out of the way.  They seem to realize that I'm struggling to get dressed before I get out of bed in the morning and wait patiently for me (I don't even want to try to use crutches wearing my bathrobe, I think that's a wreck looking for a place to happen), and the night it happened and then again the next morning they very patiently escorted me down the hall.
Sigh.  This can ONLY get better.

12 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it heals soon!

    Merry Christmas to you Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby had knee surgery years ago after suffering for years before that. Once it was done, he wondered why he had not done it sooner. I hope yours works out well.

    Rest up and have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, THAT sucks! I'm gonna quit complaining about a bad cold.

    Girl, I am SO sorry for you. Seriously, I hope the docs can get to the bottom of what's going on.

    Heckuva way to enjoy your time off, huh? Well, Merry Christmas anyway.

    Sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you get better kid. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all the rotten luck!
    If you end up going to physio therapy, be sure to take a bullet to bite on, cause it's gonna hurt.
    I hope it will start to get better on it's own.
    Anyway, have the best Christmas you can. Maybe a little Jack Daniel's would help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your well wishes. This too shall pass (I just hope sooner rather than later).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Scooney? Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aiiieee. I'm left wonderin' why the medicos didn't send you for the MRI immediately. Won't PT aggravate the injury if something is seriously wrong? Did they at least X-ray you?

    The doctor is out now.

    I hope you get better soonest, Deb. Have a few toddies this evening. T'is the season!

    wv: derible. Veddy, veddy derible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your knee troubles. I've just finished playing nurse to my brother for about 3 weeks (he had a hip replacement surgery) and it was amazing as to how many little movements and actions you just take for granted that you can't do anymore. Hope you get well soon. Merry Christmas and Happy New year, Deb.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but also remember that as bad as I can be, my niece may be reading this so behave!