I grew up something like the song that Brooks and Dunn did with Reba, 'Cowgirls Don't Cry', because really, cowgirls don't cry. Not over a lost love (men are like busses, if you stand on the corner long enough, another one will come along), not over falling off your horse (get up, dust yourself off, and get back on). But lately?
I tear up standing in a crowd of people at a sporting event when the national anthem is playing. To be in the middle of a crowd of 20,000 plus people all singing it with passion brings a huge lump to my throat and tears start to well up. I was at the Stampede a couple of years ago and there was a presentation on the Born to Buck program that the Calgary Stampede runs and what the hell? The clips of the mares running on several thousand acres with their babies made me tear up! How much of a wuss did I look like?
I was over at Mom's to watch the Kentucky Derby last year and when the anthem came on, I started. To hear everyone singing the anthem and to see the military men in their uniforms, standing at attention got me going. As the race was coming to an end, I started as I was watching the final strides of the winning horses, giving everything they had, just doing what they were bred, trained, and loved to do.
The last part of the movie "Hidalgo" where Viggo Mortenson's little horse is 3/4 lame and cut up and giving his all for his owner makes me downright sob!
And don't, please, come over to watch Extreme Makeover, Home Edition with me. That's usually a 2-hankie show.
I can see it with the loss of Murphy who lived with me for 18 of her 26 years, Piggy who lived with me all of her 9 years, and Butch and Harley who would have done anything for me, but a movie horse that I know wasn't hurt during the shooting of the movie, or a new house for people I don't even know? C'mon.............


Don't worry, it's like that when you're thirteen too. ;) (Age is but a number!!)
ReplyDeleteOh Lord, don't tell me that I'm regressing!
ReplyDeleteDon't feel bad. I went to the movie Secretariat with Dani and Karen and I was the only one crying. "the old gringo"
ReplyDeleteGettin' "misty" is a freakin' curse I've lived with all my life. I hate hate HATE it! It's worse when you're an Old Sarge, too, believe me. Military men are expected to be stoic, yanno?
ReplyDeleteThe tears came this past summer when my middle son assumed his first command... and I was in uniform for the first time in 25 years at his change of command ceremony, seated next to a major general. That's embarrassment, Deb.
Buck
ReplyDeleteAh yes, those 'so proud of you' moments. The heart swells, the throat constricts, and the next thing you know, you're reaching for your hanky (or wiping your nose on your sleeve!).
Thanks for stopping by. Spent way too much time on your blog yesterday, but there were a whole lot of LOL moments.