Ever since I first started seeing my optometrist, he has been pushing me to go to progressive glasses. I really dislike wearing them as by the end of the day they make my beak so sore that I want to pitch them across the room. Had to go for my annual visit on Friday and finally gave in. I've been wearing contact lenses for the last 3 years and have tried everything to get along with them. See, I need correction to read and he told me that I'd hate bi-focal lenses so we tried what's called mono vision. One corrected for distance, one corrected for reading. Really didn't like it. It messes with your depth perrception so I went to a modified version; one corrected and the other not. It worked out ok for a couple of years but lately I've found that once it starts to get dark, I can't read a thing and instead of boosting my prescription yet again, I went for the glasses. By the end of the day with my one lonely lens, I want to claw my eyeball out, it feels like a great big ol' gob of snot in there, or else it's so dry I can't see out of it. I know,you're thinking "Get some drops to put in there." Did that. Got a bottle at home and one on my desk at work. So here we are.
My glasses won't be ready for a week and I'm down to my last lense. This morning, while getting ready for work, I got most of my beauty routine done (the days of bouncing out of bed looking like this are long gone) and went to put my lense in. It didn't go right the first time and when I went to re-adjust it I dropped it in the basket that contains my skin care and makeup. CRAP! Of course I couldn't see it right away but had heard it land in there and I had to take everything out of said basket item by item. Still nothing. Ok, carefully examine each item as you put it back in the basket. YES! I found it! But, it had dried out just enough in the meantime that even with a little soak it feels horrid. Sigh. Another wonderful day with contact lenses.
Ah, I feel yore pain, Deb. I tried to do contact lenses for a miserable two weeks in the way-back but my eyes don't produce a sufficient amount of tears to float them properly. It's a wonder I didn't go blind before I gave up and went back to my trusty specs. I've had progressive lenses for almost 20 years now and they work pretty well.
ReplyDeleteBuck I'm not so certain that I won't be blind by the time I get my glasses! Hasn't been a banner day so far.
ReplyDeleteYou're so brave-I'm not really one for stuff going near my eyes! I'd prefer the glasses. :) Good luck with them!
ReplyDeleteI know nothing of glasses other than I now own several cheap pairs in every color from the dollar store (loonie toonie store). Would you be a canidate for eye surgery?
ReplyDeleteDani
ReplyDeleteYou get used to it after a while. It's the insertion ad removal that give me the most grief. Dropped the damn thing in the sink this morning! Maybe that's a sign from above that it really is time.
Lou
One pair in each room of the house? And no, unfortunately my thing is age related and they haven't been able to come up with something that rejuvenates the muscles in your eyes that you use to focus (I asked my needle-in-the-eye doctor, she's a retinal specialist).
Deb, Here is an old post of mine about age and retina problems http://bagwag.blogspot.com/search?q=rectum
ReplyDeleteLou, the link didn't work. What month and year did you post it?
ReplyDeleteSept. 16, 2008
ReplyDeleteThanks Lou. I'll go check it out
ReplyDelete